5 Home Remedies for Common Cold & Cough
Many Indian families believe in relieving home remedies for normal cold and cough cures, especially when it comes to kids. Apart
from curing a cold and cough effectively, these home remedies are also free from any side effects. Listed here are some of these home remedies to help you treat normal cold and cough at an initial stage without any medication.
1. Ginger tea – Ginger is often used to calm the irritation in the throat and reduce cough & congestion caused due to cold. Ginger tea not only is a great beverage as it tastes good but also helps in normal cold and cough treatment. Ginger can be combined with hot water, lemon and honey so that an Ayurvedic tea can be prepared to treat cough and throat irritability.
2. Homemade Honey Cough Syrup – Honey is a widely used ayurvedic ingredient, and rightly so. Scientific evidence is that honey can be effective in treating cough and sore throat. You can also consume it directly, or add honey with coconut oil and lemon juice for additional health benefits. Dadima Ke Nuskhe has it that Honey mixed with cinnamon is a sure shot remedy for stubborn coughs & congestion.
3. Turmeric Milk -Haldi or turmeric which has been used in Indian kitchens for thousands of years is a great natural antiseptic & a natural traditional medicine. Ayurvedic experts believe that it also has a positive effect on the blood vessels (circulatory system). Traditionally, this ingredient is used in combination with milk or ghee for the treatment of a dry cough or throat.
4. Steam – A congesting cough, which produces mucus or phlegm, can be reduced with inhalation of steam. Take a hot shower or
bath and fill the bathroom with steam. Stay in this steam for a few minutes until symptoms subside. Drink a glass of water afterward to prevent cold and dehydration.
5. Herbs & Essential Oils – Alternatively, prepare a herbal steam bowl. To do this, fill a large bowl with warm water. Herbs or essential oils, such as eucalyptus or rosemary help in decongestion. Put your face over the bowl and place a towel covering the head. This traps steam. Breathe in the steam for 5 minutes.
In case your condition does not respond to natural treatment or deteriorates further, please make sure to seek help from a qualified doctor.
I am taking my Alexa rank to next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa Season 3.